Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Architecture is the Museum

When going to a museum for the first time the very first thing that everyone notices is the building that houses the museum. From the moment that you see it for the first time the viewer starts to create a vision of what the museum as a whole looks like. Each museum that I have gone to in the past I feel as though the architecture has played a vital role in creating a more authentic experience.
One of the museums that I have been to that the architecture has played an important role was OMSI. I remember the first time going to OMSI, pulling up in my car to a large industrious looking building. The building from the outside was brick for the most part and had a giant smoke stack on top. I instantly thought that I was going to a factory. To my surprise when I went inside, I observed that everything was very modern looking and brightly lit up, it was as though that the outside of the building gave a complete different image to it. The inside was very open and you could see all around which greatly enhanced my experience there. The exhibits were influenced by the architecture of the building. One of the exhibits that was greatly influenced by the architecture was the submarine that they have. If the museum had been built in a different place not near a river or didn't have as many exits/entrances this would not be the same. Being in a submarine actually underwater made the experience that much more enjoyable. It would have not been nearly as memorable if it had been on land. Another example of OMSI's exhibits being impacted by the architecture would be the interactive science room where you actually get to perform experiments or use the equipment they have. The room that houses all of this is massive and gives a person the feeling as though they are outside because the room is so large. In this room I remember making helicopter out of simple items and flying it inside not worrying if it hit the ceiling because it would be nearly impossible. If the room had been small this would be nothing special of an exhibit and not so memorable.
My memories of going to museums like OMSI would not be the same if it had not been built the way it was. The experience that I had at OMSI proved to me that the architecture is the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment